Prev: Re: IF Fleet Next: Re: Kit loadouts.

Kit loadouts.

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:14:53 -0400
Subject: Kit loadouts.

Hi Owen, Buck, etc.

Thanks for the info.

I knew you guys wore webgear like us. I find it interesting how much
water you carry. We never (okay, I've never been to the hot parts of
the world) carried more than 2 canteens. Even those were a pain in the
ass - sloshing around. And most of the time, it was one. Our packs
sometimes wayed upwards towards 80 pounds but rarely. Of course, being
Canadians, and on excercises, being issued grenades was unlikely and
being issued an oversupply (re:adequate amount) of ammo was also
unlikely. And whats a mine? <grin>

<Keep in mind, my background is Primary Infantry Reserve so we only
had some of the good kit>.

We too didn't drop backpacks officially until we had a place to do it,
but unofficially just about everyone said it went bye-bye the minute
the fighting started. That matches with what Buck said.

I think our loadout for webgear was 1-2 canteens, medkit, dry socks,
6-10 mags, grenades when and if, usually a knife, bayonet, some had
small field binos, some facepaint, KFS, spare ammo for the support
weapons (sometimes this was in the ruck). Generally, whatever could
fit on your LBE (including ammo pouches, buttpack, canteens and any
other pouches). A lot of folk learned quickly that where you located
your pouches had a lot to do with how comfortable it was to lie
down/crawl or crouch. In the winter, of course, you end up with a lot
of bad weather gear too. Same with NBC conditions.

The poor b*st*rds who got stuck as radioman generally got to hump the
PRC-77 and often to dig the Lts fighting positions too. What a
wonderous job.... RTO was a bad TQ to have.... or admit to. As of
course was driver as it continuously got you dragged to stupid places
if you had your military license.

I never actually thought of using camelbacks. That makes SOOOo much
sense. What a great idea. Works for biking, no reason it wouldn't be
great for the bush. An insulated khaki bag containing a camelback
would be small, fit on the back, and let you carry a rack of
indispensable fluid in the rougher areas.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: IF Fleet Next: Re: Kit loadouts.