Prev: Re: Ogres, Bolos and things that go bump in the night[CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: Assembly Instructions - Sa'Vasku

Re: Transport capacities

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:36:36 EDT
Subject: Re: Transport capacities

Phillip Pournelle wrote:

----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@mail.utexas.edu>
To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thursday, October 07, 1999 3:21 PM

>>>The standard is one Fleet Book Full Thrust Mass is equal to 25 Cargo
>>>space or 5 Vehicle space. ... One Mass devoted to personnel could
support
>>>6 troopers >(6 * 4 =  24).
>>
>>Isn't that exactly what I said?  :)
>>
>>>...This should change your calculations dramatically. ...
>>
>>Actually, I intended for my calculations to be different from the
currently
>>accepted rates; that was the point.
>>
>>I'm not disagreeing with your conversion rate; indeed, it sounds like
we
>>are in agreement on the cargo requirements for vehicles.  Instead, I'm
>>suggesting that the cargo space requirements for personnel which have
been
>>carried over from MT may be too high.
>>
>>Sixteen metric tons per leg trooper and one hundred metric tons for a
squad
>>of six?  Don't those sound a little high?  Even counting kit, rations,
and
>>other overhead, that's still an extraordinarily large allotment of
cargo
>>space per trooper; especially when compared to the number of ship's
crew
>>that routinely serve aboard the smaller ships.

>    Where did you get the metric ton data from?

>From FB1. All the designs are given tonnages that correspond to their
mass
numbers, at a ratio of 1 mass point equals 100 tonnes. I also assumed
that
they were metric tons, but it could be Imperial tons.

Taking that into account, it seems that the transport masses from MT
will
have to bee modified, at least a little.

Prev: Re: Ogres, Bolos and things that go bump in the night[CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: Assembly Instructions - Sa'Vasku