Prev: My first FT 3D CGI rendering Next: RE: My first FT 3D CGI rendering

Re: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:30:51 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

>Some of these ships have far too much SM capacity for the number
>of launchers.	12 spaces of SM's with 1 luancher in the Garibaldi
>is rather extreme.  Combats rarely last long enough to get all
>6 launched.  It would be a far better design if you dropped 4 mass of
>storage and installed other weapons or added a second launcher.

I think that this is a case of the SSD being correct and the description
being based on MASS. None of the designs have more than 4 mag spaces per
launcher on the SSDs. Three would be my top number, however.

>The Colbert suffers from the same problem.  You can't really expect
>a CE to survive long enough to launch 3 SM's, although I guess you
>could have a standard loadout of 2 ERSM's.

Smaller ships should have no more than 2 per launcher, unless they are
have a dedicated role of lobbing SMLs from behind the main battle line,
but
that would be a waste of points.

>My rule of thumb is Destroyers and smaller have SMR's.
>Escort Cruisers and smaller get 2 turns of SM's.
>BDN's and smaller may have up to 3 turns.
>SDN's may have up to 4 turns.

I still say 3 max. Two reasons: 1) you have to concentrate SML fire, and
if
your escorts have run out of ammo, the extra 1-2 shots left on your SDN
won't do you as much good; 2) you need to have other weapons, otherwise
you'll have no teeth to fend ships off when you run away after expending
all your SMLs, or you'll have nothing else to shoot with if you have an
opponent with massive anti-missile defences.

Schoon

Prev: My first FT 3D CGI rendering Next: RE: My first FT 3D CGI rendering