Prev: Re: GZGverse stuff Next: Re: Painting question - Orange

Re: Transport capacities

From: "Phillip Pournelle" <emisle@e...>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:21:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Transport capacities

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@mail.utexas.edu>
To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 2:41 PM
Subject: Transport capacities

>Quick "reality" check:
>
>Using the Pournelle Rosetta Stone conversion rates (1 FB mass = 25
cargo
>space = 100 DS2/SG2 capacity) and the MT troop transport guidelines, a
>squad of 6 troopers "in quarters" take up 24 cargo space, which is
slightly
>less than one FB mass point or 100 metric tons.  Troops "in cryo" only
take
>up 1/4 as much space, so 24-25 troops could be transported in the same
>amount of space

	The standard is one Fleet Book Full Thrust Mass is equal to 25
Cargo
space or 5 Vehicle space.  This should change your calculations
dramatically.  One Mass devoted to personnel could support 6 troopers (6
* 4
=  24).

    IT is an interesting thing to note that the largest ships we have in
the
U.S. Navy are reiforcement ships that carry a LOT of stuff.  Other than
carrier, the largest ships in the line fleet are amphibious assault
vessels.

Prev: Re: GZGverse stuff Next: Re: Painting question - Orange