Prev: Re: [FT] Jovian formation Next: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

Re: [FT] Jovian formation

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:28:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

At 10:54 PM 10/3/99 -0700, Michael wrote:
>At 11:46 PM -0400 10/3/99, Donald Hosford wrote:
>>"http://users.nac.net/conklin/titius/titius.htm"
[schnip]

>I've been looking for that ! I mentioned Bode's Law a few weeks ago
>and I wish I'd had the URL. I hadn't seen it deconstructed like that.
>The relationships to Mercoury's orbit are very interesting. From that
>it looks like we can just randomize the first orbit (based on stellar
>mass) and then calculate the orbits from there on out. Heck,
>Traveller Book 6 just assumed Bode's Law holds and left it at that.
>Then we just populate the orbitals; Traveller Book 6 comes to mind
>again... There's a lot of valid criticism of Traveller, but its
>method of generating star systems is just plain useful (time to go
>work on the Pocket Empires DB again...)

This got me to pull out the 2300AD rulebook and flip to the back... yup,
the world generation section sounds a like like this.  You randomly
generate the radius of the first orbit, then the multiplier between
orbits... not sure how they'd generate Sol out of that, since (as the
web
page above shows) Neptune falls halfway between Uranus and Pluto.  Oh,
well, that's what a GM is for.... ^_-

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net

Prev: Re: [FT] Jovian formation Next: Re: [FT] Jovian formation