Prev: Re: [FT] Jovian formation Next: [Misc] Pages of Painted Camouflage

Re: [FT] Jovian formation

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:54:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

At 11:46 PM -0400 10/3/99, Donald Hosford wrote:
>that the size of the planetary orbits follow a numerical
sequence.&nbsp;
>There is more at&nbsp; <a
>href="http://users.nac.net/conklin/titius/titius.htm">this</a>
>site.&nbsp; This works for all of the planets except Neptune and
Pluto.&nbsp;
>(Astronomers are still arguing over that one.&nbsp; Some have suggested
>that Bode's Law applies to all star systems...)

I've been looking for that ! I mentioned Bode's Law a few weeks ago
and I wish I'd had the URL. I hadn't seen it deconstructed like that.
The relationships to Mercoury's orbit are very interesting. From that
it looks like we can just randomize the first orbit (based on stellar
mass) and then calculate the orbits from there on out. Heck,
Traveller Book 6 just assumed Bode's Law holds and left it at that.
Then we just populate the orbitals; Traveller Book 6 comes to mind
again... There's a lot of valid criticism of Traveller, but its
method of generating star systems is just plain useful (time to go
work on the Pocket Empires DB again...)

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/
Security and Privacy Alert:
http://www.cryptonym.com/hottopics/msft-nsa.html

Prev: Re: [FT] Jovian formation Next: [Misc] Pages of Painted Camouflage