Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

[FT] Jovian formation

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 19:46:37 -0400
Subject: [FT] Jovian formation

I'm about to make a series of system maps (using Schoon's
scale of 1 hex = 1/3 AU or 50 million km) for the inner
systems for several stars.  If I can get Angelfire to behave
tonight, I'll post the first one (Sol system) on or about
www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/fullthrust.html ; it will be
followed by other strategically important systems like
Alarish, New Zimbabwe, and New Persia (but not uninteresting
and out-of-the-way places like Albion or Nova Moskva--if you
think it's important, you make the map).

Now, as I generate planets, I can either place their orbital
distances randomly to suit myself, or I can generate them in
accordance with whatever theory seems best at the moment.
For Alarish, I put the brown dwarf at the distance to get
the same insolation as Jupiter, on the theory that the local
temperature was favorable for condensing a large planet
there.	Pure speculation on my part.

So, you astronomer blokes, once again we're going to call on
your erudition:
a) place orbits randomly?
b) place major gas giant at Jovian insolation distance?
c) other?

--Chris  DeBoe
Quixtar IBO#706882
http://www.quixtar.com

Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol