Prev: GMS Air Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re: Harlequin figs

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:27:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Harlequin figs

>Regarding their Dr. Who figures...
>
>I have never seen them out of the box and they make a nice mortar set
(at
>least the pics on the box are nice).
>
>But here in Dallas/Fort Worth they set of two mortars with crew is
close to
>$40!  Hell that is double what GW charges for basically the same figs,
and we
>all know how high they are!
>
>What gives with Harlequin figs?  Are they really that good?  Or are
they just
>overpriced here in Texas?

They're overpriced everywhere, mainly due to the licensing fees for the
Doctor Who and B5 ranges (and the new LoTR stuff). Even in the UK, the
Dr
Who figs are 2.50 UKP for most of the figures, and 3.00 for daleks
(that's
EACH!!), which is even more than GW stuff (with the exception of their
ludicrously priced special character figs). Sadly, some are not even
that
good. The daleks are nice, but a lot of the UNIT troopers are rather
below-average figures.

Someone also asked about Harlequin's B5 figs - the first two boxes are
out
over here, at 15 UKP for a box of five figures (!); the minis themselves
are generally nice and fairly good likenesses (though the photo of the
forthcoming Ivanova fig (from box 3) in their latest newsletter looks
AWFUL
- she looks like a Vulcan...), but the biggest problem is that each box
has
maybe two figures (if you are lucky) that you will actually WANT, plus 3
incidental minor characters that really won't be a lot of use except as
general figures. For example, box 1 is Sinclair, Ko'dath, Carolyn Sykes,
Soul Hunter and a generic Security guard; box two is Londo, Adira
(Londo's
dancer girlfriend), Trakis (who??), a generic Med tech and another Soul
hunter.....

I can actually see them selling more to B5 collectors than gamers, which
is
undoubtedly both the intention of the box contents and the
rationalisation
for the very high pricing.

Jon (GZG)