Prev: Re: [SG2] matchbox vehicle alert - V22 Osprey Next: [OT] Longbow Hellfire (was Re: GMS Air)

Re: GMS Air

From: Daniel Staberg <daniel@i...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:04:59 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: GMS Air

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Right. And a rather good MANPADS it is too. (MAN Portable Air Defence
> System).
MAN Portable? I know quite a few conscripts that would love to questions
that idea! A lot of terrain in Sweden is broken and covered with large
areas of forrest which means that most of the time we had to leave our
vehicles behind and carry the rest for a couple of kilometers, which is
quite back breaking even with a well trained unit.

 It's only fault is that if you use it to defend ships at sea
> (which is was NOT designed for) it suffers from corrosion. Quite a few
> of the lauchers that saw service in the Gulf are now used only for
> training.
There is a naval version of the RBS-70 but if they mounted a army
version
on a ship it should take quite a beating from the salt in the water and
in
the air.
> > Before leaving the army I used to command a SAM unit with RB70s and
the
> > idea of using it to stop tanks would not have been apealing....
> > I would leave that to the infantry with RBS56 BILL and TOW or Carl
Gustav

> Carl Gustav - another fine piece of Swedish engineering that the
> Australian Army uses. Just be careful of the back-blast.
>
> Which version of the RBS-70 do you have experience with?
Actually I have worked with both the original RBS-70 and with the new
RBS-90 (Does Bofors market this under a RBS-70 name?) Both have their
advantages.
Daniel