Prev: Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen Next: Re: GMS Air

Re: GMS Air

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:26:17 +1200
Subject: Re: GMS Air

> Ryan M Gill wrote:
> > But hellfire is not powered in its downward phase towards its
target. It is also a laser guided missile. If the target you are
shooting at is aware that it is being painted, expect smoke and other
countermeasures including some really harsh maneuvers. A helicopter is
likely to try to find some firm cover. Good luck keeping your GLD
pointed on the target.

> Los wrote:
> What part of the term "fire and forget" don't you understand? You
don't have to paint the target for it's entire flight you only have to
paint it momentarily for lock on either with laser or millimeter wave
fire control radar (AGM114IIR). Hence you have the ability to either to
a LOBL "lock on before launch" or LOAL "Lock on after launch" and then
fire & forget. The missiles can even be desiganted for lock on by other
targets.) Oh and by the way if you "carefully" read the blurb quoted
from Janes you would see that the specs called for a capability to "hit
maneuvering targets at up to 20deg to the right and left of launch
azimuth at distances up to 1000m of the firing platform" with an
overall range of 8000 meters (BTW that's more than a shoulder fired
STINGER) anything being enageed within those paraneters would be
dealing with a HELLFIRE under powered flight. Those parameters also
mean that the missile was designed to include a hip pocket shot against
dangerous targets of opportunity. NOte that of course the both US
attack helicopters carry purpose built AAMs to enagage fast nmovers
anyway. (Stinger for Apache, much more capable(and expensive) AIM9M for
Cobra)

Actually both Los and Ryan are right. Ryan's talking about the older
laser guided Hellfire, while Los is talking about MMW Hellfire, which
is Fire and Forget.

I would much rather shoot jets with Sidewinder, than with Hellfire or
MMW Hellfire, if I was a Apache pilot. Second choice: Stinger. Third
choice MMW Hellfire or cannon depending on range. Fourth choice older
Hellfire, they're for tanks!

Andrew Martin
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Prev: Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen Next: Re: GMS Air