Prev: Re: [FT] B5 miniatures Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re: Jets Vs Vtol

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 Rmako1@aol.com wrote:

> This is endlessly debated in my working circles.  The advantage is
totally to
> the jet if he gets spotting.	This can come from visual or from AWACs.
 The
> footage of the HH-60 shootdowns in Iraq (blue on blue by F-15s) shows
it all.

Ahh but this was a pair of transport helos. Not a pair of Attack helos
down next to the terrain. Attack helos like Apaches, the various OH
series, Agustas, and the forth coming Commanche all operate down next to

the trees. They move from cover to cover in close terrain to take
advantage of the cover.

There is even a rocket system for equipping the Cayuse or other OH type
helos that fires out to a certain range and then bursts in a wall of
flechettes. Its designed specifically to hose an attacking aircraft.

> If the Fast Movers cannot get spotting then the advantage lays with
the Helo.
>  Stay low, use terrain to mask and take your shot.  You have a plane
against
> a nice cool sky, they have to shoot against the cluttered ground.
Also if
> you can get the Jets to increase dive angle (move towards them at best
speed)
> you can get them to break off the attack.  No one likes diving at the
ground
> and pushing into a steeper dive.

Obviously its not as easy as shooting at a tank that sits on the ground.

Perhaps a pilots opposed die roll would be in order for the attack to
procede.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: [FT] B5 miniatures Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol