Prev: Man Portable Fissables, oh my! Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> Remember, the davy crocket was devised in the age where it was seen
that
> Nukes were a great idea for construction project demolitions. That
> attitude is very dead.

Thankfully.

That's one thing that SERIOUSLY dates some older (50's - 60's) science
fiction - really really casual mention of 'atomics' or nuclear
demolitions... even the original 'Starship Troopers' book suffers from
this...

I've read stuff that indicates that using nukes to 'dig' spherical
underground water reseviors was seriously considered by various people,
in
the US and the USSR. Scary stuff - this is all from before the notion of
lingering radioactivity was around...

Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html

Prev: Man Portable Fissables, oh my! Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)