Prev: Re: Shoulder launched nukes? Next: RE: Full Metal Anorak

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:04:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Phillip Pournelle wrote:

>     Actually Marines don't drive ships and there are good reasons for
that.
> Just look at those "marines" in Aliens.  They got their @$$ kicked.
As a
> former gator frieghter driver, I must say that we generally don't want

There were lots of organizational things I didn't like about aliens.

The entire troop compliment went down to planet side with noone on the
ship. This made for getting additional support from the ship difficult
when the APC bought it.

The Ship had all sorts of weapons, none were ever used to support
the op.

The use of just one of the two landers when the ship had the capacity
for
more troops to use the additional assault shuttle.

The helter skelterness of the op.

The dumbass Lt that led the whole op.

The act of leaving the entire battle ship when there was a big bug on
board. Surely there are internal defensive systems that could be used...

> land in a heavily opposed area.  In fact, the advantage of an
amphibious
> force is that you opponent does not know where exactly you are going
to land
> and must spread his forces out to oppose you.

And the advantage of an over the horizon amphibious force is that they
can't respond to your force quickly enough.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Shoulder launched nukes? Next: RE: Full Metal Anorak