Prev: Re: Adding PDS and automated vehicle defenses to SG2. Next: Some SG2 ideas

Re: Adding PDS and automated vehicle defenses to SG2.

From: Aron_Clark@d...
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:53:02 -0700
Subject: Re: Adding PDS and automated vehicle defenses to SG2.

I know that DSII uses PDS style system (it's probably even called that,
but I
haven't got my rule book handy) and Anti Personel Charges.  Perhaps you
could
take a comparison from there.  I'm sure that the sci fi tech could come
up with
ways around terrian features triggering such an Anti Personel Charge,
perhaps
heat signature or sophsiticated target id.  Who knows.

UsClintons@aol.com on 09/24/99 11:11:33 AM

Please respond to gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

To:   Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca>, gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Aron Clark/AM/Avid)

I have toyed with the idea of adding PDS but I am not sure they would be
cost
effetive and size effective.  The targeting systems, ammo supply/energy
consumptoin (due to high ROF) would make them prohibitive on all but the
largest
AFVs.  And even then I think you would prob. get more bank for your buck
by
getting more armor instead.  Just my opinion mind you :-)

As for:
>> And the other one is the Vehicular Defence Charge
>> (or APDC or whatever) - side mounted claymores
>> triggered by infantry moving within x" of the
>> vehicle.

I am of the firm opinion that these would be impractical.  Any ground
rock, tree
or other object that the AFV moved near would likely set them off if
they were
automatic.

If they were not automatic you might as well just mount a AGL on the
vehicle.
Again, just my 2 cents.

Scott Clinton

PS I see no prob. with reactive armor.	Though in SG2 I think the
best/simplest
way to represent this would be with a higher class of armor.

Prev: Re: Adding PDS and automated vehicle defenses to SG2. Next: Some SG2 ideas