Prev: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

Re: [OT] Resin vehicles - customizing

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:30:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Resin vehicles - customizing

On 23-Sep-99 at 22:51, Popeyesays@aol.com (Popeyesays@aol.com) wrote:
> In a message dated 9/23/99 2:00:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
> books@mail.state.fl.us writes:
>
> <<
>  I'll probably continue to use latex, it handles undercuts very well
and
>  is cheap to use.  The only problems I see with latex is it requires
>  patience and its lifetime isn't that great.	However, if I make 6
BB's I
>  will have my moneys worth, and I can always make a new mold off of
the
>  first casting.
>  I tried doing some plaster casting, but the stuff stuck to my mold
even
>  with the mold release and it destroyed my mold after the first
casting. :(

>   >>

> When you get these done. Post some pictures on the web. Be prepared to
cast
>  more for other people if they turn out well.

I'm going to attempt to make a master this weekend, as for the casting
for other people, wouldn't I be violating a copyright somewhere?  Now,
I could probably give a few away.

Just FYI though, there is much more involved with making a good mold
than
just painting latex on a master.  I still have the whole learning curve
as to how easily the resin flows, what cutouts are needed so I don't
trap
air.  I also do not yet have a feel for how much detail I can do with
resin.	My last casting ended up with little wavy lines over the whole
casting, this was fine for sanding to flat surfaces, but not fine for
holding detail.

Roger

Prev: Re: [OT] Honor Harrington miniatures Next: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)