Prev: RE: Sandcasters [My version] Next: Re: [wt?]Woodland Scenics

Re: [OT?] Bad Sim news -- B5 and SFC?

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:38:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT?] Bad Sim news -- B5 and SFC?

Phillip Atcliffe wrote:

> Mark S. wrote:
>
> [Snip bad news about Sierra]
>
> > It has not been a good year for Babylon 5.
>
> It seems to be a bad year for space combat (computer) games in
general.

Quite the opposite, there are quite a few on the horizon - Starlancer,
Descent 2 and Freelancer to name but three. Sadly Jump Runner doesn't
look
as if it will be published after all (sob, since I would have been lead
programmer). In fact the reason we've had trouble signing it is simply
that
there are a glut of similar games and most small-to-medium sized
publishers
don't think they can compete with Micro$oft et al.

> I went looking for StarFleet Command last weekend (release date here
> was supposedly the 17th) to no avail. I asked about it and was told
> that there's some form of copyright brangle going on which effectively
> stops _any_ further Star Trek games from being released (!).

> Considering that SFC is out in North America (I think), does this guy
> know what he's talking about? And does anyone have any more
information
> on this?

Paramount are terminating all existing ST licences, so anyone who's
currently got one is rushing to squeeze one last game out of it - expect
flood of ST games soon.

Tony

Prev: RE: Sandcasters [My version] Next: Re: [wt?]Woodland Scenics