Prev: [DS2] Dice based damage Next: Escorting convoys

RE: APDs, LSD's and LPAs

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:55:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: APDs, LSD's and LPAs

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Robertson, Brendan wrote:

> I'm talking 2 different scales.
> The big, winged dropship from GZG:
> For Stargrunt (25mm scale) I use it as a (DS/SG) size class 7 (CS:35)
ship
> (about the same size as the Slammers gravtank which GZG produces).
> For Dirtside (1/300 scale) it would be about (FT) mass 70 (cs
according to
> cargo - design as FT starship).

Ahh, thats a different big Dropship. I was talking about the one on page

19 of MT. Its a huge craft. One of the engine pods rates about size 6
going by the scales I use. The tanks in the same pic are size 3 or 4.
The
drop ship is about 8" long. There is another platoon sized lander that
is
about 3" long. These are Microtac ships (I guess that may be the source
of confusion.)

> You have to be careful when mixing the scales.  GZG do make a 1/300
scale
> version of the big dropship; it's only about 35mm long as compared to
13
> inches for the resin version.

herm? is it the same model in two different sizes for 1/300 or one in
1/300 and one in 25mm? I understand the diff in scales. Thats not a
problem

> I usually only use the resin ships for Stargrunt, as they're too big
for
> regular battlefield use in DS.

Well the big transports are pretty big, but I can see a scenario where
they'd work fine. I can't see any size 3 vehicles doing much damage to
one given its size and volume. It may not take off again, but I don't
see
one crashing that easily. Especially not the 8" one. It has what would
amount to a class 1 beam under the nose in addition to the turret (class

5 MDC or HEL). Not a nice thing to have popping as it comes in on its
final.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: [DS2] Dice based damage Next: Escorting convoys