Prev: Re: FT:Battlestar Galactica Question Next: [FT] Real Shields - was: Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:16:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval

"On the other hand, you have different fingers." wrote:
> If you want to draw on 'established' science fiction analogies, there
has
> been no demonstration (short of physically interposing ships) of a
capability
> to stop beam fire (be it lasers, blasters, phasers, etc) from one ship
> another. So, I'm happy with the beam rules as they stand. :)

Actually, here's an idea.  (I haven't been following the thread too
closely,
so this might have been already mentioned, but...)

We'll steal something from Traveller.  (I think it's from Traveller)

SANDCASTER
A ship with a sandcaster can create a 'barrier' between an enemy ship,
and a target ship.  This barrier consists of very fine crystals (known
as
'sand') which interferes with a broad part of the EM spectrum.

It can be mounted two ways; sand can be dumped overboard, creating a
trail behind the ship, or it can be fired by large, low-powered
launchers, creating sand 'clouds'.  'Sand' is placed in the movement
phase of the turn, after writing orders, but before movement.

Sand is laid in 9" long, 3" wide bands if dumped overboard, and explodes
into
a 3" diameter circle upto 12" away from the ship when launched.

'Sand' does not impede ship movement in anyway.  'Sand' will disperse
slowly, becoming ineffective after three turns.

Sand interferes with all direct fire weapons.  Treat the target as
one range band further away then it actually is.  If 'sand' is located
between a detonating SML and a target ship, the die roll for attacking
missiles is reduced by one.

Somebody else can figure out the MASS and mechanics of the lauchers;
I have to get back to work here.  (8-)

J.

--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: Re: FT:Battlestar Galactica Question Next: [FT] Real Shields - was: Vector vs. cinematic; air vs. naval