Prev: Re: simple strategic campaign for FT Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?

Re: railguns

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:43:27 +0200
Subject: Re: railguns

Hm. Now I've checked my books at work, and according to them

1 kTon TNT = 4.18*10^12 J rather than the

1kTon tnt = 6.31*(10**8) J Roger claimed.

I haven't been able to find any independent data for TNT, but I know
that some more modern explosives yield about 8 kJ/g (ie, about 8*10^12
J/kTon) and are supposed to be about twice as powerful as TNT,
mass-wise, so 4.18*10^12 J fits better.

So, third try: the speed necessary  to get the equivalent of 1 kTon out
of a hit with a 10g slug is approx. 29 000 km/s, or:roughly .1c. That's
starting to get nasty <g>

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: simple strategic campaign for FT Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?