Prev: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?

Re: Ork Origins

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:26:27 +1000
Subject: Re: Ork Origins

Los wrote:

> Actually regarding ORC technology, I thought the Orcs
> didn't invent anything? They were (I'm simplifying greatly,)
essentially a slave
> race of creatures

The Orkoid genus consists currently of 3 types: Orks, the smaller
Gretchin, and the tiny Snotlings.

A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away.... anyway, the Snotlings were
the original type, and were of high intelligence, but puny physically.
Their intelligence required ingestion of a symbiotic fungus.

They genetically engineered the other 2 species, the larger as a sort of
"Soldier Ant" (with a technician caste that fixed things by instinct,
similar to a Motie Watchmaker), and the Gretchen as general purpose
labourers and middlemen.

There was a civilisation that spanned the Galaxy.

Then some of the Soldier types discovered the fungus, liked the taste,
and within a week had rendered it extinct.

Instant collapse of Galaxy-wide civilisation.

The current situation is basically a feudalism, where the Armed Forces
run things. The Mekaniaks or Mekboys really don't understand what
they're doing. They're constantly "improving" gear, often rendering it
useless. But sometimes they get it right, and hence the Orks have FTL
etc (though it could be as the result of a Mekboy just wanting to make a
better can-opener, and "improving" one).

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?