Prev: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question Next: Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:04:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

>Another
>example is the Hammer's Slammers by Drake.  A pretty good read, but in
game,
>would you ever want to play anything other than the Slammers?	They
have
better
>armor, better infantry, better artillery, and have a theater defense
grid
tight
>enough to intercept incoming artillery.  Yeah, those are guys I want to
fight.
>I'm surprised opposing merc companies don't just surrender as soon as
the
>Slammers hit the dirt.

Just to play Devil's Advocate....  If I, as a player, was told: "You are
going to defend a small, but wealthy, government from foreign agressors.
The enemy, cowardly dogs that they are, have hired Hammer's Slammers to
do
their fighting for them.  You can spend X points on men and vehicles,
but
no more than 250 pts. on any one AFV.  You cannot purchase powerguns or
iridium armor for your force, and air units are pretty much a terrible
idea.  You will have access to prepared defenses, including mine fields.
Good luck."

I'd go for the idea like a shot.  And I would probably lose, but it
would
be a heck of a lot of fun.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com