Prev: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:22:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Roger Books wrote:
>
> One Point. When a Wet Navy ship looses 50% of its volume to flooding
it
> capsizes. Damage control has to counter flood compartments to keep it
up
> right. If a damaged ship capsizes, its death for that ship and most of
> the crew.
>
> A space navy ship will not capsize. You can loose quite a bit of
internal
> pressure and still keep quite happy and nice. Assuming you have crew
> operate and repair critical systems. The crew most certainly fight in
> hardsuits in most cases I'd think.
>
> Wet navy ships have to contend with sinking. Space navy ships don't.
that
> is why they'd be more capable even after some damage.

> - Ryan Montieth Gill		  DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
> - ryan.gill@turner.com      I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
> - rmgill@mindspring.com	       www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
> - '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

This is exactly my point!  What is all the noise about?  Ryan's last
comment
is the basic differance.  When building space ships based on wet navy
ships,
one should keep this in mind.  That was it.  Why is it that only a few
seem to
understand this?

 I was not running down any of the following:
    Level of Compartmentalization,
    Torpedo efficency, or capabilities,
    Amount of flooding a ship can take, or the proceedures involved,
ect.
    Or anything else for that matter!

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)