Prev: Re: Background? Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:05:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Search for historical presence: Small vessels and the Wall or Line of Battle

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> As part of an on-going discussion of the efficacy of smaller units
> (DDs, FFs) at a Wall of Battle meeting, I am searching for historical
> antecedents to this type of action.

[MUNCH]

> So if anyone has any historical anecdotes or references to support or
> disprove either viewpoint (bring the popcorn/send it away), I'd be
> most interested to hear it. And of course, feedback, argument,
> discourse and such are welcome as well.

Actually, I'm not sure naval history is a good analogy in this
case.  One of the major reasons NOT to bring your escorts in was that
their weaponry couldn't hurt battleships/battlecruisers.  3"/5" rapid
fire cannon just doesn't cut it against 16" of armour belt.  (Ignoring
'special purpose' weapons like torpedoes.)

However, the FB Class-1 bat can hurt even the largest SDN.  There's
still the range difference to worry about between a Class-1 and a
Class-3, but you know there's a chance to score significant damage with
a whole bunch of Class-1's, quite unlike the almost guaranteed
bounces you'll get versus the armour belt.  That's what makes swarm
tactics so dangerous in FT.

Just some ideas.

J.
--
     *** Jerry Han - jhan@icom.ca - http://people.canoe.ca/jhan ***
	 "I wish I could fly, From this building, From this wall,

Prev: Re: Background? Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)