Prev: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:11:58 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

The Royal Australian Navy uses this sort of 'backbreaker' torpedo.
There
was a publicity test about 2 months ago here, where the fired a torpedo
over
the horizon from our new Collins class submarine in trials (they're
still
not as good as the ol' reliable Oberon class yet, which FYI has sunk US
carriers in wargames & escaped the fleet).
The frigate which was targetted broke it's back from the single
detonation
underneath the keel.  It sank in about 4 minutes.  Although a few of my
ex-military friends reckon that they had a demolition charge in the
engine
room just to make sure it DID sink... (embarrassing if it it didn't
work).

'Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/