Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:25:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question

bbrush@rev.state.ne.us wrote:

> It may seem odd to some people (myself included) that people don't
want to
> create their own storylines, backgrounds, and history, but the fact of
the
> matter is, they don't.  Whether it's through lack of time, lack of
motivation,

Sort of reminds me of  my uncle who owns a restaurant in Florida
(breakfast joint)
and he always says people don't want to decide what to eat for breakfast
(ala "give
me two eggs over meduim, hasbrown, bacon" etc). They'd rather just look
at one of
the specials and go, "gimme the big bubba. Or the all american..."

Actually though what is historical gaming? Its' pretty much using
someone elses
background ;-)

Other than that I see GZG games doing very well all over. Not a week
goes buy that
someone doesn't ask about SG2 and it isn't responded to with very
favorable
comments. And by guys that aren't even on this list and I never heard
of. In our
game club I see people using SG2 (people I never even talked to about
the game) for
all kinds of backgrounds including an Afgan rebel Russian game last
week.  Others
make up generic Sci fi stuff and don't really give two rats about a
detailed
background (these guys usually game lots of periods and don't consider
themselves
scifi gamers, just wargamers.).

> lack of imagination, it ultimately doesn't matter; because, you can't
make them
> do it, and for the most part people won't accept anyone doing it for
them except
> for the game publisher.  This list is a very creative list, as
fan/player lists
> go, but it has it's conservatives that prefer to let others do the
world

> building, and would undoubtably be happy if Jon did it all himself and
said
> "This is how it IS".	At least here Jon gives his tacit approval for a
lot of
> things if not his explicit endorsement.

Having been on this list for two years now I'd be very hard pressed to
think of one
person who on here that hasn't had his hand in either
discussing/building the GZG
background, or whipped up his own background, or submitted conversions
to other
popular backgrounds. And there have been a lot on this list.

As for me, three quarters of the fun is in the background, writing the
AAR, and
providing fodder for my fiction.

Los.

Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Background? was Re: SGII Newbie Question