Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:25:03 -0700
Subject: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

>My main comment, Schoon, is that if you'd waited another 24
>hours to write this, I'd have published first...which brings
>up Lobachevski and the whole Lehrer thread again.

Sorry ;-)

>I'm inclined to use 1/4 AU per hex (1 day thrusting at 1
>gee) or 1 AU/hex (2 days thrusting at 1 gee)--you picked 1/3
>AU to get nice orbital rings for Mercury & Venus, I expect?

Exactly what I did.

>Of course, if you assume artificial gravity and high gee
>thrust--which I thik is the canon assumption--then you can
>pitch my preference out, as it's built on 1 gee thrust.

Yup, right again. I was working with canon, though truth be told, I was
looking more at making it workable without caring about the physics
(gasp).

>Or you could use something like the Champions speed chart,
>in which there are segments: Speed Two moves on segment 6
>and 12; Speed 3 moves on 4, 8, and 12; Speed 4 on 3, 6, 9,
>and 12; speed 5 IIRC is 3, 5, 8, 10 and 12; and speed 6 is 2
>4 6 8 10 12.  I don't recall what speed 7 and 8 use but it
>shouldn't be too hard to extrapolate.

I thought about this, and would be willing to put it in if that's what
people want, but it smacked too much of SFB. I was looking for simple,
simple, simple.

>>Combat:
>>Ships in the same hex will engage in a FT combat on the
>tabletop.
>
>Using their relative position and speed from the Strategic
>Game.

Excellent point. I'll add it in.

>May need to refine this a little as ships will be jumping
>in-system in smaller increments, and the defender may have
>time to see one jump (and know there's someone coming) while
>the aggressor is making another jump.	I'd also like to
>establish a "preferred lane" coming from one system to
>another, so if you're arriving at Alarish from Huy Braseal,
>you arrive with a vector of, say, 2 in Direction 4 (of
>six)--therefore to cut down on your thrust required and
>transit time, you usually arrive on Hex Face 1 of the System
>Hex, so your exit vector is taking you in the desired
>direction for free.  This will I think help ease the
>defender's problems a little.

Keep in mind that this is for "in system" use, so there shouldn't be any
jumps while on the board. I didn't work out any stellar-scale stuff.
That's
after I hash this out :-)

>Apparent mass after adjustments for Stealth and Weasels.

Sure, that's possible; like I said, this is the bare bones here. I want
hammer out the basics before I go for the bells and whistles.

>And you'd want to have something whereby a powered-down
>ship, or sufficiently stealthed, wouldn't necessarily be
>detected.  That would probably require a referee, I suppose.

Bingo.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)