Prev: [FT] Re: Small vessels and Line of Battle Next: Small ships and Wall of Battle

Re: FB small carrier construction

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:56:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FB small carrier construction

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Hmmm. Single syllables. A formidable opponent. (The
Tick) wrote:

> No restriction exists for where you put hangar bays for FB designed
ships.
> That, to me, is nice, 'cause I like the occassional dinky carrier
design
> for light duties.  :)  (of course said ship, if destroyer-sized, ain't
> gonna be able to do much else, but that's the price you pay! :)

I see no problem with this what so ever. There are currently carriers
that are not much larger than a smallish cruiser. Look at the Italian
and
Spanish navy's ASW carriers.

Great Britain
Invincible Class
20,600 Tons. Operates 14 VSTOL aircraft

Centaur Class (Hermes of Falklands fame, now the Indian Viraat)
27,000 Tons, Operates 26 VSTOL aircraft

Italy
Guiseppe Garibaldi VSTOL Carrier
13,850 Tons. Operates 12 VSTOL aircraft

Spain
Principe De Asturias VSTOL carrier
16,700 Tons. Operates 17 VSTOL Aircraft (Harriers or Helos).

If you could fit the necessary self defense fit and hangar bays to a
light cruiser, I see no reason why they wouldn't be used as a light
escort for merchantmen and other weak ships. The economy of scale might
bite you, but if it frees up the bigger light carriers for combat duty,
you might be saving your ass.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: [FT] Re: Small vessels and Line of Battle Next: Small ships and Wall of Battle