Prev: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases Next: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases

Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:16:57 -0700
Subject: Simple System Thrust (Campaign)

Hi All,

Please note that I didn't use turn length or complex physics formulas to
come up with this. I just looked for something playable and went with
the
flow.

Please comment and criticise, because I spent all of an hour or so
coming
up with the entire system, and I'm sure it could use refinement.

System Thrust

Scale:
1 hex = 1/3 AU, or 3 hexes = 1 AU

Systems:
Thus, the Sol system could be represented thusly:
Sol(0), Mercury(1), Venus(2), Earth(3), Mars(5), Jupiter(16),
Saturn(29),
FTL Limit(30), Uranus(57), Neptune(90), Pluto(118)
Where the number is the number of hexes away from the main star (orbit
ring: so Earth orbits in the ring of hexes three out from the star).
Though
all planets are included for completeness, you need only have out to the
FTL Limit on the game board. (Yes, I set 10AU/30 hexes arbitrarily; so
sue
me.)

Set-Up:
When setting up planets in their orbits, the owner of the system selects
any one planet and places it anywhere in its orbit ring. Then the
opposing
player does the same with a planet of his choice, and they continue
alternating. (Yes, this is completely at odds with reality, but it
should
work for the game!)

Movement:
Ships move 1 hex per thrust point of their main drive. Groups of ships
may
only move as fast as their slowest vessel.
Movement may either be free, plotted, or "double-blind," depending on
the
group or the availability of a referee.
For free movement, or movement after detection. Move all ships one hex,
alternating players, move all ships a second hex, using the same method,
etc. When a ship has moved a number of hexes equal to its thrust, it has
finished moving for the turn. Faster ships will continue to move.
If using plotted movement, switch to free movement when a group is
detected. A ship or group detected by one vessel is assumed to be
detected
by all other units friendly to that vessel. (NO! I'm not going to take
time
lag of communication into account at this scale.)

Combat:
Ships in the same hex will engage in a FT combat on the tabletop.

Detection:
Any transition into, or out of, FTL is immediately detected by all
ships,
and the hex is marked.
There are three levels of information: bogey, mass, and all. Bogey tells
the number of vessels in a group or hex. Mass tells the mass of each
vessel. All reveals the SSD.
Sensors reveal a level of information at a set range in hexes:
			All	Mass	Bogey
Standard (Class 1)		0	2	4
Enhanced (Class 2)		0	4	8
Superior (Class 3)		0	6	12
Base (Class 4)		1	8	16
Base (Class 5)		1	10	20
Base (Class 6)		1	12	24
Feel free to ignore classes 4-6 if you wish, or to set base ranges where
ever you want them. BTW, "All" is set at (.125)x("Mass" range), rounded
down, for those who want to create their own classes of sensors.
Class 6 is the greatest resolution possible, no matter how large the
base
or station.

Play and have fun.

Prev: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases Next: Re: Mid-point firing? Re: Random Firing in Phases