Prev: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question

Re: SGII Newbie Question

From: UsClintons@a...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:26:19 EDT
Subject: Re: SGII Newbie Question

> Well if your orcs are smart enough to have discovered FTL then they
> should be smart enough to develop advanced tactics also instead of
> moving in inefficient and unweildy mobs.

What makes you think that moving in smaller units would be MORE
efficient for
ORCS?  Just because it is more efficient for humans does not mean that
it
would be more efficient for orcs.

It seems to me that you are trying to put use human psychology to
explain
NON-human behavior.

What if orcs were simply too socially unruly to be able to operate in
'small'
units?	What if orcs simply were simply not as individualistic as humans
and
had a much more 'mob mentality'.  What if any of 1,000 things that we
simply
cannot comprehend (because we have yet to meet another sentient race)
kept
orcs from forming 'smaller' units?  Thus LARGER units really would be
more
efficient for THEM (given this psychology).  Again this all stems from
me
wanting orcs to be orcs and not green space marines. :-]

Also under your explanation (if I understand you correctly) the most
'efficient' unit would be ONE man squads...if the tech. existed and the
training could be achieved to coordinate the 'squads', right?  Think of
the
flexibility, firepower, etc.  Of course this is just not possible for
humans...perhaps for some 'bug' like alien or telepathic space creature,
but
not humans.  :-)

As for the tech. thing, again you are simply paraphrasing GW's idea of
orcs
(I think), not mine.  In the old "Rogue Trader" days such things were
left up
to the players and our group developed a nice background to support OUR
idea
of orcs.  It was not like it is now where 40K players are spoon-fed a
history
like it or not. :-(

On a side note:  I think SGII will suffer because it does NOT
'spoon-fed' a
history.  It would seem most of the people that play sci-fiction
miniatures
seem to WANT to be 'spoon-fed' a history.  But don't ask me why!  I have

always been puzzled by the seeming LACK of imagination in this area when
it
comes to people that play a game that REQUIRES an ENORMOUS amount of
imagination to begin with!  If someone has an idea on this 'score'
please
explain it to me as I have been trying to figure this one out for quite
some
time...  :-[

SC

Prev: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Re: SGII Newbie Question