Prev: Re: SGII Newbie Question--repost with correct subj line Next: Re: [FT] Jump Limits

Re: [FT] Jump Limits

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:33:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump Limits

----------
> Från: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@acd.net>
> Till: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
> Ämne: Re: SV: [FT] Jump Limits
> Datum:  den 11 september 1999 06:47
>
> Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>

> > ~115 000 000 km (0.77 AU, just outside the orbit of Venus)
(assuming I
> > got the figures right :-/ )
> >
> > > The Earth?
> >
> > ~ 200 000 km (slightly beyond half-way to the moon)
> >
> > > Jupiter?
> >
> > ~ 3 600 000 km
>
> Do you have the "grav-limits" for the other planets in our system?

The distance where the gravitic acceleration caused by a body  is a, is
calculated by

d = sqrt(M*G/a), where
d is the distance (meters)
M the mass of the body creating the gravitic field (kg)
G is the gravitic constant (6.67*10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)
a is the acceleration (m/s^2)

Insert the mass of the system body and the gravitic acceleration you've
set as your limit.

But of course I did screw the calculations up, since I forgot to
convert 0.01g to m/s^2. The real values for the 0.01g limit are only
about one-third of what I wrote, ie:

Sun: ~36 800 000 km
Earth: ~63 700 km
Jupiter: ~1 140 000 km

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: SGII Newbie Question--repost with correct subj line Next: Re: [FT] Jump Limits