Prev: Re: FB small carrier construction Next: SV: [FT] Jump Limits

Random Firing in Phases

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:07:50 -0400
Subject: Random Firing in Phases

Whereas I do agree with the idea firing order is a tactical choice,
that makes the game more deterministic in ways than I prefer.
Simultaneous fire is good, but it too can be said to not model reality
as not all fire is simultaneous.

Instead, I plan (at some free moment....) to try random fire.
Assumption: All ships try to engage at optimum times and yet hit
before the enemy. Ergo no one admiral should have micro-control of the
situation. Nor should all the rounds fall simultaneously.

Instead, I'd propose a random initiative firing system. Roll d6 for
every vessel. Note the number. You have six firing phases. All fire in
a phase is simultaneous. Phase to phase is not. So If I have 3 DDs and
a HC firing I roll 3 d6 (let's say I get 3,4,4,5). So one DD fires
first, then two DDs simultaneous, then the HC. This makes for a sort
of interesting combination of the two, and removes some of the
deterministic feeling. (Chaos of Battle and all that).

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, but it does mean one
quick die roll for every ship after every movement turn. But in
exchange, you get a little of the "luck" of first shot in some cases,
but you also get simultaneous fire in bigger battles. You might even
allow tactical systems quality to modify this - poor systems add 1 to
the die roll, or roll d6 ignoring 1s. Good systems could be given a -1
or roll d6s ignoring 6s. Or if you have dice lying around, do the die
shift thing (down to d4, up to d8).

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: FB small carrier construction Next: SV: [FT] Jump Limits