Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm

Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:29:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Roll concertina (razor) wire.

    I use paddle wire that I wrap around a dowel of the proper diamter
and cut with scissors or wire cutters to the proper length.  Paddle wire
can be found in craft supply stores or the craft section of a department
store.	It's what they use to wrap floral arrangements, I'm told.  I
like the 26 gauge wire.  It works well and is very inexpensive.  It's
only a few dollars for 540 ft of the stuff.  Once you wrap it and then
pull in off the dowel, you can expect about 25-35 feet of good looking
coils.	You can also use this for smaller and larger scales, just adjust
the height of the coils.  They are usually about hip high on a standing
man.
    I've experimented with different kinds techniques to actually get
the little barbs on the the wire.  I'm not happy with any of them.
Usually, when you go to pack up or set up again, the little barbs tangle
and you end up with a big mess. But this could just be the way I pack up
the wire.  I like the idea that Mike Wikan suggested, with wire mesh cut
into strips, though I've never tried it.  The advantage to the technique
I'm suggesting is that its cheap and fast.  While it doesn't give you
the barbs, everyone looking at it knows exactly what it is.  You can
make a bunch of it prior to the meeting, or bring the wire with you and
make the coils while you're setting up.  It really saves on storage
space.
    If anyone saw my Charlie Company games at MonCon this year, the NDP
scenario I ran used this technique.  I handed the players the amount of
wire they had on hand, and they placed it where they wanted it.  It
worked well; they shaped it to the contour of the ground and around a
couple of obstacles.  It looked good.

-Michael

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out my updated Charlie Company web pages!
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: Re: [OT]: Roughnecks - SST Animation Next: Re: Concertina Wire, Camo Netting, Barbed Wire in 25mm