Prev: RE: Battle Masters Rules Next: Re: [FT] PSB and Turn Length

RE: [FT] PSB and Turn Length

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:07:48 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] PSB and Turn Length

There are several possible PSB explanations you could try.
1.	The ship firing first manages to bracket the target faster &
starts
inflicting hits earlier.  (ie. the first volley hits, whereas the target
misses it's first volley.)
If just a single hit can cause the target to vibrate or momentarily lose
power (all those movie combats where the lights flicker or a rotation
starts
from damage).  This would have a sequential effect, with more guns
refining
their targetting as the target struggles to bring it's guns back to it's
firing vector.	With the light ships, they simply go pop anyway & larger
ships usually still get to fire back.
2.	Ship X's crew have tweaked the weapons so they have a slightly
better range or rate of fire than Ship Y, which gives them a small
advantage.  You could possibly explain this as the optimum power being
allocated or available at the moment of firing (engines momentarily shut
down, computer has a perfect deflection shot for 3 seconds, etc)
3.	The gunnery officer on the target is a fraction slow in ordering
available weapons to fire, or allocates a target out of range & needs to
recompute, which proves fatal.	(How many times in various games have
you
done this sort of thing yourself?)

I'm sure there'll be a few more PSB ideas floating around out there.

'Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/