Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Point Value Next: Re: pulse torpedo damage allocation

Re: Sa'Vasku Point Value

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:31:41 +0200
Subject: Re: Sa'Vasku Point Value

Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> > Um... does this mean that a ship can grow by tens of tons in ten
> > minutes? That's *lots* of energy, that is... at least if the old
E=mc^2
> > applies to the SV :-/
>
> This is a strategic turn, not a tactical turn.

<whew>

[On regenerating]

> My idea makes the BioStarbases tougher, but it is very limited.  Your
> concern is mitegated by two things.  1.  The maximum BioArmor is
> limited to the same way energy capacitors work.  This means after the

> first row of hull boxes have been destroyed, that BioStarbase loses 1
> BioArmor...

This may help, yes.

> The
> second limitation is the energy cost to regenerate armor.  At 3
points of
> power per BioArmor, it is not cheep.	If the BioStarbase rebuilding
all of
> its BioArmor every turn, then it won't have much power for beams,
drone
> pods, etc...

3 points of power per BioArmour *is* cheap. It depends of course on
which range band you're fighting in, but an SV ship needs on average
1.25 EP per range band to inflict 1 point of damage against an
unscreened target - so 3 points per regained armour box is *less* than
it takes to knock that box out from band 3, and not much more than it
takes to knock it out from band 2.

IIRC Brian used on average 4 EP per box regained in his later SV
drafts, and that was *still* too little for balancing
differently-hulled SV against one another in any meaningful way.
However, his weak-hulled high-energy ships were able to keep the range
open (so they could spend less energy on regenerating damage than their
opponents had to spend on inflicting the same damage); the BSS is
(hopefully) incapable of movement allowing its enemies to close to
point-blank range and hit it hard before it can regenerate.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Point Value Next: Re: pulse torpedo damage allocation