Prev: Re:Liners in service Next: Western Front III

Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:42:21 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

> PSB?	Need to keep the number down?  45 locations is better than a
sphere
> 5 light minutes across?  Remember, I did say the Lagrange points for
> a large planet and its associated star.  Should reduce it to 8 or nine
> usable.  Too many to cover with orbital forts, but not too many to
watch.

Roger,

I hate to rain on your parade but depending on the alignment of the
planets, even
if you just used large Lagrange points for gas giants only, your looking
at
distances of 198.4 to 393.6 light minutes between lagrange points of
different
planets for our solar system.  This is still a huge area to cover...

Your idea also has another problem.  Trojan asteroid fields.  We know
that
Jupiter, Mars, and Earth have Trojan asteroids.  Jupiter has over 450
known
trojan asteroids in its L4 and L5 positions.  We don't have data on the
other gas
giants; but there is a good chance they have Trojan asteroids fields in
their L4
and L5 positions too.

IAS

Prev: Re:Liners in service Next: Western Front III