Prev: OT : Dennis Ashelford Next: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

Re: Civilian Shipping

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:48:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Civilian Shipping

At 3:43 PM -0400 8/26/99, Ryan M Gill wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
>> An interesting one might be a Falklands-in-space type scenario where
>> major power has impressed a cruise ship as a troop carrier (quite
>> likely as big ass troop carriers probably are too expensive to keep
>
>Passenger Liners were frequently build with government money on a
>contingency that if the nation went to war, the vessels would be
pressed
>into serverice by the military for Troop Ship duities. Most Liners were
>done so during WWI and WWII.

And proved to be almost worse than useless in actual combat. Things
may be different for spaceships, but for floating liners the
disadvantages are:

1) High target profile, very easy to hit.
2) No armor
3) Usually had second-rate armament

somewhat surprisingly, crew quality was rarely a problem.
Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/

Prev: OT : Dennis Ashelford Next: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes