Prev: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes Next: RE: FT fighter combat (game idea)

RE: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:53:00 +0100
Subject: RE: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes

>I'm pretty certain the phaser fire was called to 'detonate' the plasma
>ball.

It was but the phasers were off line so they retrograded and
it lost energy over distance, has the phasers been on line
then it would have been straight forward to remove the threat

>Even SFB's plasma torp seeking qualities aren't necessarily
>required. Makes
>sense, but it's possible that the show's PSB was that, if you
>attempted to
>side-step one barreling down on you, you'd get nailed.

In BOT it wasnt a seeking weapon really a giant smoke ring
which has stability due to its internal vortices, so you
could have side side stepped it but for dramatic effect they
didn't. as the name suggests it behaves like a WWII submarine
torpedo, but I don't see how you can control a smoke ring other
than the initial vector.

>I think it was used in only the one show, in a special
>modified sub-light craft. There must have been SOME reason they
>couldn't put it on the Klingon built cruisers.

only ever seen in BOT, reasons were it required such a huge energy
drain that it wasn't effective unless you achieved suprise.

As his show was a direct crib of 'the enemy below' the best thing
to model a Ptorp on is a WWII non seeking torp.

In FT terms best fit is a wave gun IMO.

-= tim jones =-

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: FT: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns, as plasma torpedoes Next: RE: FT fighter combat (game idea)