Prev: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Fw: Fw: FT cargo/aux ships.

Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

From: Jonathan White <Jonw@n...>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:07:12 +0100
Subject: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky...

Popeyesays@aol.com wrote:

> <<
>  How do you protect a system? Can you have some sort of early warning
>  system that will tell you someone is in FTL travel X hours away?
>   >>
> If you are actually twisting time and space, something is going to
make a
> demonstrable signature of some kind, and that signature should be
detectable
> somehow or other.

Ah, but the detection apparatus would also have to work at FTL,
otherwise there
wouldn't be much point would there? You couldn't use any 'standard' em
or
radiation signature...

If you are working on a 'warp' principle -i.e. the ship shifts out of
the 'known
universe' to go FTL then you could possibly detect the point at which it
is
going to re-emerge (although spotting jump points never helped anyone in
B5..).
If you go for the Star Trek way of fiddling with C locally then you need
detection method that doesn't rely on any sort of 'real world' emission
by the
target object.

					    TTFN
							Jon
"In a tribe of chimpanzees I was a monkey.."
Jonathan White, COS group, Manchester University

Prev: Re: FTL Jumps and making it tricky... Next: Fw: Fw: FT cargo/aux ships.