Prev: Re: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam Next: Re: Vector Movement

Re: The UN

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:36:45 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: The UN

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Another esteemed member of the GZGverse wrote:
>
> I'm not suggesting an allien invasion as means of implamenting Global
> unity!
>
> Perry

note that you don't actually need an alien invasion - you just need the
appearence of one (think Alan Moore + Dave Gibbons' "Watchmen" or even
some modern conspiracy theories). perhaps that's why the UN has a
weapons
programme - they develop new drives and railguns and fake the KV
invasion
to get humanity to fall in line (i know it's nuts, but there will be
people in the Tuffleyverse who believe that :) ).

> it'd seem a
> waste of a lot of effort our ancestors put in. And if it happens
> before 2183, it'll sure make Jon look silly ;)

modern SF dogma states that the purpose of SF is not to predict the
future, but, by illustrating possibilities, to shape it. insofar as we
can
consider St Jon's timeline SF, we shouldn't expect it to be borne out
(the
fact that it refers to the now sort of defunct EC is pushing at this
already).

> The one about measuring with checked shirts was a new one on me. THAT
> reeks of cheese....

hmm, so what about my very precisely drawn tattoo? :)

tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Terraforming Styrofoam Next: Re: Vector Movement