Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: [OT] Free Programs! (was: Re: A small request.... :-)

Re: premeasuring=holy wars

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:03:19 -0400
Subject: Re: premeasuring=holy wars

Jeremy Sadler wrote:

> This has to be one of the biggest reasons I gave up gaming Epic. I was
> continually running up against people like this - who had forgotten,
or
> never had, the "spirit" of the game and were merely manipulating the
rules
> so they could win. I used to play BattleTech at conventions - same
reason I
> stopped that. (In fact pretty much same reason I stopped playing BT
> alltogether...)
>
> This is why I love the GZG range so much. They have a much better feel
of
> espirit de corps (sp?) between players, which I feel the rules
encourage. I
> haven't yet run into anyone who manipulated the rules just so they can
gain
> an advantage. But then, I'm also older and wiser now and choose my
opponents
> more carefully. :)
>
> Jeremy Sadler
> jsadler@earthling.net
> Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site
> http://stargrunt.virtualave.net

Players manipulating the rules to win...I used to role-play with a guy
who did
that.

When I still played D&D,  my friend and I played an extreamly simple
version of
it.  (We never wrote
it down, it would have probably filled both sides of a single
sheet...the rest
of the game was "off the top of our heads".)  One session, we invited
another
friend to play with us.  He allways played the advanced version (lots of
books
of rules...)  It was our worst session ever.  He could never adjust to
such a
simple game, and he kept trying to manipulate things to his advantage.
Then he
wandered off with the party's map.  When he got himself into a jam, (a
very
elaborate trap) the rest of the party couldn't find him.  (The referee
had so
much fun bumping him off, he allowed the rest of the party to
watch...hehehe)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Vector Movement Next: Re: [OT] Free Programs! (was: Re: A small request.... :-)