Prev: Re: Lafayette Incident Next: Re: Quick subject switch to SGII (was: Re: Vector Movement)

Pre-Measuring = holy wars

From: "-MWS-" <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:19:44 -0700
Subject: Pre-Measuring = holy wars

Greetings, Folks!

One thing I have learned in my 30+ years of wargaming is that the
"pre-measure" issue is a holy war topic - nearly everyone who holds an
opinion on it is firmly convinced that their way is the only right way
of
doing it.  Several threads over in rec.games.miniatures.historical this
last
year have discussed this issue to death, with no general consensus ever
being drawn except "my way is best". [sigh]

Unless firmly written into the rules set, just agree to a single method
beforehand.  Our group allows a player to pre-measure the range of their
own
units before declaring fire, but doesn't allow a player to measure the
potential range of their opponent's fire or movement.  This works for us
-
which is all that counts.  Yes, occasionally this bogs down play, but
we're
also pretty good at humming the Jeopardy timeout theme to josh the
errant
player into hurrying up. <g>

Prev: Re: Lafayette Incident Next: Re: Quick subject switch to SGII (was: Re: Vector Movement)