Prev: RE: Lafayette Incident Next: Re: Miniatures vs Fleet book

Re: The sands of Mars and the gray shores of Luna: 1/300 scale Stargrunt???

From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@h...>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:34:58 PDT
Subject: Re: The sands of Mars and the gray shores of Luna: 1/300 scale Stargrunt???

>I know that someone else on the list has -- Alan Goodall, I think?
-->but
>it's an idea that I've been playing with as well.  What I was >thinking

>about was painting the figures as normal, and then >attaching them to a

>small washer.	This will give them more weight, >and provides a base
that a
>magnet will cling to.	The washer is >color-coded to reflect the type
of
>figure (black for a trooper, >silver or gold for an officer, red for
heavy
>weapon, white for >medic) and to make it more difficult to lose them on
the
>board.  A large enough base would allow you to paint the quality and
>experience of the figure right on.  And you could use fridge magnets
>(the
>flexible kind) to make it easier to move them as a unit.

Sounds like a really good idea :) Like everyone else, my mini force is a

bizarre mix of miniatures, but they come from three primary sources: GZG

(CMD), MicroArmour, and Ral Partha. My 1/300 (roughly) scale infantry
are
from Ral Partha's BattleTech line (Davion and Kurita infantry). These
troops
are pretty large (the are damn right huge when marching into battle with
my
1/285 scale modern MBTs). To me, these guys have enough detail to look
cool
all on their own, plus the 1/300 scale vehicles are pretty big too... so
put
them together and you have minis that are large enough to SEE (which is
the
fun of 25mm gaming), but still small enough to fight battles that are
too
large for 25mm StarGrunt (and yet just too small for Dirt Side). Not to
mention that in Luna Marine infantry units were getting into fire fights
at
ranges exceeding 1500 meters (gotta love the moon: no atmosphere- tons
of
LOS). That scale alone (to me) short circuits the 25mm scale of Star
Grunt

>It'd be a damned easy force to paint up, methinks.  That's a pretty
>good
>recommendation right there, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree with you more! 25mm looks lovely once you finish painting
it-
but painting 100+ infantry figures and 10-15 vehicles!! (assuming I find

PROPER 25mm vehicles in the first place)... It would only take me a few
hours to paint up such a force for 1/300 minis (and have a much greater
pool
of vehicles to pick from), compared to a couple of weeks (tons of hours
for
me) needed to paint up the 25mm (not to mention a nice chunk of change
for
the minis)...

1/300 does have certain appeals :)

Prev: RE: Lafayette Incident Next: Re: Miniatures vs Fleet book