Prev: RE: Stargrunt Vehicles from the Toystores Next: Painting tip: was Re: Stargrunt Vehicles from the Toystoreswww .galoob.com

Re: Stargrunt Vehicles from the Toystores

From: Paul Lesack <lesack@i...>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:15:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Stargrunt Vehicles from the Toystores

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Matchbox Mission Bravo stuff: Another Hummer (I think a truck variant
> with a missile launcher in the bed). Also an excellent little FAV with
> a (sad looking but replaceable) SAW/MG/HMG and a good looking AGL.
> About $4-5 US.
>
> Thomas Barclay

I actually bought one of the Mission Bravo Jeeps. With about an hour's
work, I turned it into a realistic enough vehicle, with a metal deck and
pintle mounted MG. Add a new paint job, and it looks surprisingly good
(realistic). It is, however, still butt ugly from a purely aesthetic
sense. Not all military vehicles have to be attractive. . .

The only problem I had is with the axles. Unless you glue the axle in
place (which I would have if my wife hadn't insisted that the stuff be
able to roll around), the paint comes off of its bright shiny chrome
surface. Only about a millimetre* shows, though, so it's not too bad.

The AGL turns into a nice artillery piece if you remove the missile and
replace it with a piece of brass tubing, although the swing out supports
that come with the launcher are mounted in a totally illogical menner..

The figure that comes with it is surprisingly detailed, and benefits
greatly from a repainting. It's made of soft plastic, though, so any
bending takes the paint right off. Better to repaint the guy, stick him
in the driver's seat and leave him there.

All in all, it was a pretty good purchase.

I'm supposed to gain the use of a digital camera in early September, so
when I do, I'll actually photograph all these things, and let you all
see them.

Paul

* note use of metric