Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust Lite? Next: Re: [FT] FTMap Sprites

Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:51:03 -0400
Subject: Re: FMA Skirmish Weapon Ranges and Area Fire

BTW how many seconds orminutes is one FMA turn supposed to represent? (I
ask this so we can figure ammo consumption)

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Range bands:
> So this would yield: (in the hands of a regular)
> Standard Pistol (9mm): 3"/6"/13"/26"/51.2"  Burst: no    Ammo: 15
> FAuto: No
> Standard SMG (9mm): 5"/10"/19"/38"/77"    Burst: 5 rd. Ammo: 30 FAuto:
> 30 rd
> Standard AR (7mm): 8"/16"/32"/64"/128"    Burst: 3 rd. Ammo: 30 FAuto:
> 30 rd
> Sniper Rifle (7mm): 16"/32"/64"/128"/256"	    Burst: no
Ammo: 5
> FAuto: No
> SAW (7mm): 8"/16"/32"/64"/128"	    Burst: 5 rd. Ammo: 30 FAuto:
30 rd
>		  with a belt
		 FAuto: 50 rounds (1/2 belt)
> Standard Shotgun (18mm/12 ga.): 3"/6"/13"/26"/51.2"	  Burst: no
Ammo:
> 5 FA: No  DangSp: 0.25"(Wpn Mod 0.4)
> Sawed Off Shotgun: 1"/3"/6"/13"/25"			  Burst: no
Ammo: 5 FA: No
> DangSp: 0.5"(Wpn Mod 0.2)
> AutoShotgun (18mm/12 ga.): 3"/6"/13"/26"/51.2"	  Burst: 3 rd.
Ammo: 10
> FA: 5 rd. DangSp: 0.25"(Wpn Mod 0.4)

Minor point. first I would cut confusion for the math impaired and just
make the burst either 4 and 6 rds respectively,
or better yet just say how many attacks on Burst and FA (i.e. SMG 3
attacks on burst, 8 on FA)

Re: resolving burst and FA areas of attacks (short of a nifty plastic
sliderule compass gizmo that you overaly the
attacked area) A quick and dirty way (Without all the surveyor tool
requirements<g>), albeit less acurate might be to
just range step it, say at RB1=.5, RB2=1, RB3=2, RB4=3, RB5=4. This way
you only lay out one thread and measure. Might
be a tad quicker particular inside.

Though it would be pretty easy to construct a little thread+stick
contraption to lay out a template for your MG fire.

> FP is a function of firing mode (which is determined in part by
> weapon):
>
> Semi Auto:		  1d8		  ammo use: 1 round

This should use at least 2-3 rounds even in semi unless you are doing
aimed fire.

> Burst:	  1d10		  ammo use: burst
> FA:			  1d12		  ammo use: some number of
rounds up to a max

Wait shouldn't this be completely opposite since semi is more accurate?
Semi should get the higher FP than FA though
you get a chance to hit more guys with that lower attack in FA?
This way I think you can then dispense with teh range shifts below.

> Burst: Resolve fire as 1 RB further away. If used to spray, the

<snip>

> FA: Resolve fire as 2 RB further away. If used to spray, perform a

<snip>

> Shotguns and danger space:
> Shotguns attack an area around their target. The area is RB x DS. So a
> normal shotgun at RB 4 would attack an area 1" to either side of the
> target. This is resolved after any autofire hits are allotted (so
> someone using an autoshotgun is truly terrifying).

Good

> Shotguns also do abysmally versus armour: Any armoured target should
> get a 2 dice positive shift for armour vs. shotgun, unless they have
> PA (full armour d12 style) in which case the shotgun won't even bother
> them. This assumes the shotgun has lead/steel buckshot. If firing
> birdshot, make that 3 shifts (and 1 shift for unarmoured targets -
> birdshot is crappy as a man killer). If firing military flechette
> ammo, there is a 1 die shift, and even PA can be affected (a sliver
> might penetrate a joint or face screen).

All these effects should be scenario specific. If you are doing Mars
Attacks vs Jim Bob (No offense to any rednecks out
there) they come in fine, but a GZG-universe toting soldier (say for
CQC) will have ensured that he's carrying Slugs,
flechettes etc or even a multiple round type cassette for his weapon.
BTW these Shotguns could also have otherr neat
effects such as blowing off hinges and locks (But that'll be specified
in the CQC suppliment I'm working on)

> Note too that posture should affect ranges. I think the useful way to
> represent this without much math (addition or subtraction only) is to
> treat it as follows:
> standing: normal
> sitting/kneeling: +1"/+2"/+4"/+8"/+16"  (so a rifle would then be
> 9/18/36/72/144")
> prone (resting) (also kneeling with a brace of some sort like a wall):
> +2"/+4"/+8"/+16"/+32" (so a rifle would then be 10"/20"/40"/80"/160".

Did I miss something in the rules? Is there a differnce between
standing, kneeling and Prone (BTW Jon make some damn
porne SG2 figs!!!!) I've been using In position in my FMA tests.

> Other than that it takes a bit to setup your weapons and your squad
> cards, once that is done, it will run fairly quick and many mechanics
> echo SG2. RB are quality based so quality is the big determiner, but
> your surivability as a target is range and cover based (ie get some or
> get shot).
>
> Comments?

You need to get  one of the rocket scientists on this list to come up
with a little applet to figure all that math out
for ya! <grin> Sort of like the FT ship designer etc.

Well it's a bit more in depth than I had in mind but as per our offline
discussions we were both seeing a need for area
fire in this game.

I also wish there was a way to bring this a tad closer to stargrunt.
What I'm beating around the bush about is the
ability to move multiple figures in one activation. Something like if
you are within two inches of your squad leader
and everyone passes a task check, then they can move/fire together.
Makes leaders a tad more important in FMA, allows
for some coordinated moves and fire groups. Would be especially
important in CQB and room clearing. The downside is
people that close would fall under the effect of your area fire so you
can weigh the benifits vs hazards..

> <Starts putting an extra layer of sandbags on the bunker....>

Oh yeah what about lasers and gauss rifles and disruptor beams and...

Los

Prev: Re: [FT] Full Thrust Lite? Next: Re: [FT] FTMap Sprites