Prev: RE: A small request.... :-) Next: RE: painting help needed

Re: A small request.... :-)

From: Jonathan White <Jonw@n...>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:28:15 +0100
Subject: Re: A small request.... :-)

Roger Books wrote:

> Shouldn't be a problem on a modern OS with virtual memory, it just
> gets a bit slow, but when you run a render overnight anyway...

Which it would have to be if you're using your hard disk drive as RAM.
It's a
feasible thing to do but let's not suggest it's in any way practical. As
it
happens RAM is cheap enough these days that it's less of an issue than
it used
to be. I was just mentioning it so someone didn't get caught out and had
their
rendering software throw a wobbler after several hours of rendering time
through
running out of RAM - been there, done that, banged my head against the
table.
Now getting my favourite modelling software running on my new computer
so I can
get involved in this venture,  that's a non-trivial problem :).
Longstanding
list members know of my fondness for  CGI and the fact that I can't do
any just
when this comes along is quite.. irksome.

> BTW, Has apple finally followed the rest of the world with swapping
> to disk for virtual memory?

Note: This is not not /not/ the place for that sort of discussion. Just
because
I'm not officially list admin any more doesn't mean I'll let this sort
of thing
go on ;).

				TTFN
					    Jon
"In a tribe of chimpanzees I was a monkey.."
Jonathan White, COS group, Manchester University

Prev: RE: A small request.... :-) Next: RE: painting help needed