Prev: Re: Marking Figure Bases Next: Up late Scott? More on counters/base marking...

[SG2] Half Sized Vehicles

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:25:33 -0400
Subject: [SG2] Half Sized Vehicles

An idea (Yes, it isn't FMA Skirmish....) and I am dodging real
debugging work... <though it is early Sunday morning so perhaps
dodging isn't the right word - I'm just procrastinating on work I
should be moving forward for Monday...>

Half Sized Vehicles...

You can construct vehicles in half sizes (we've noticed many models
seem to be a few spaces too big or a few spaces short of a given size
class). What does this mean?

Capacities:
Size 0.5	2
Size 1.5	7
Size 2.5	12
Size 3.5	17
Size 4.5	22
Size 5.5	27

Other effects:
Range bands: Normally, you'd jump range bands by size class for HW.
For example, targetting a size 1 vehicle would give 12" RB. Targetting
size 2 would be 24" RB. For half sized vehicles, the multiplier is
just similarly converted. To target a size 1.5 vehicle, the RB would
be 18".

Armour:
Some folks like to limit armour or weapon class by vehicle size. In
this case, I'd say use the smaller size class (for size 1.5, limit to
size 1) if you are a conservative, elsewise limit to the larger (size
2 in the same example). Or just do what I do and say "If it fits in
the space, and you want to install it...". In the case of armour,
again, you can limit to the smaller size class, the larger, or just
let sense decide (the armour 5 size 0.5 vehicle might *just* be over
the top...).

For those of us trying the roll all the dice method of SG2:
You can make half armour.... say armour 2.5 -> which is roll 2d12+d6
and add them for armour. Of course, you can do this for the normal
system too.... roll d12 multipley by say 2.5 if you want also - if
math doesn't make you cringe... This lets you limit armour to vehicle
size... even with half size vehicles...

This lets you build a slightly larger squad carrier (like a Hummer
type vehicle - crew of 1, carries 6-7 squaddies, 1 saw/AGL on the roof
and armour 1.5 to stop most small arms and grenades) instead of a size
1 jeep.

Or lets you build your Lexus SUV - size 1.5 - carries 4 + driver + 2
spaces of cargo.

Or alternately, your little sportscar - Mustang - driver + 1 passenger
+ 2 half passengers (total two spaces) - anyone who's ridden in the
back of a Modern Mustang will understand why we call the back seats
half passengers... <kids only or those who like spinal repairs...)

This also lets you build an obnoxious little armourless (treat as soft
skinned) grav bike with an RFAC/1 underslung in a fixed mount (2
spaces to the RFAC). Or a dual SAW setup. Or a DFFG/1. Pretty
obnoxious.

<In some ways this idea is derivative or expands upon previous
discussions of 0.5 size vehicles or grav bikes - due credit to those
authors - Owen ? Some others? - is owed...>

Just another idea from a slightly twisted mind. Me and Adrian are
working on some rules for external weapons on infantry walkers (for
Heavy Gears), for vehicular and personal FTs, for some AGLs, etc. If I
can put it all together, I'll web it and post the URLs someday in
fictional spare cycles...

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Marking Figure Bases Next: Up late Scott? More on counters/base marking...