Prev: Re: [CON] GenCon and Media Coverage Next: Re: Marking Figure Bases

Marking Figure Bases

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:17:25 -0400
Subject: Marking Figure Bases

Scott said:

------------------------------
From: ScottSaylo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overwatch counters. . .

Why not just say that the base should be marked for its forward arc,
then you
don't have to have that counter at all. How difficulot is it to marke
the
figure base for "front" - not very!

** well, it's be easy except it wouldn't show up once the base had
been mounted on a washer, puttied, and flocked with grass-like
flocking. I'm not being strictly sarcastic here - but many people
flock their bases and the idea of letting them be painted or marked is
uncomfortable.

** There is a simple answer: If your gamers are non-contentious - just
assume anything in the front 180 can be engaged - contentious calls
always go the worst way possible - Owen's law of awful results or some
such.

** Otherwise, use a counter. Those who hate counters will play with
none and write everything down (they can probably eyeball the
overwatch arcs). Counters are easy to produce, and if we want figure
wrapping templates, we can easily do that ourselves with mylar, plexi,
cardboard, paper, whatever. My figs are all penny-mounted so that
would be too easy for me to make a template out of mylar with a penny
in the centre and some arcs that could be mass produced and put under
OW figures. It would be transparent except for the silver lines - I
use one of those paint pens to make templates - so it wouldn't show up
much on the green battlefield, but would be identifiable if need be.
Would photograph not badly, not look too cluttery on the board, and
probably work well for those who just *have* to know if that one enemy
is in-arc... but, fer-Gawd-sake, let St. John make counters - they are
simple, you can not use em if you want, and he has the gear. I want
him to spend his money on figure sculpts, resins, new-rules (BDS!!
BDS!!) rather than on a new die cutter for strange templates. We're
all big boys and gals that can improvise, scan, fabricate, etc. - if
we can paint figs, scratchbuild, convert, etc. then we can surely make
all we need on our own given our many different approaches - and if we
find a good one, share it on the net and others can build their own.
Jon can just make some simple counters, and he's off the hook. It'll
keep costs down (and profits up, right Jon?!) and this means more cool
stuff from GZG...

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: [CON] GenCon and Media Coverage Next: Re: Marking Figure Bases