Prev: RE: [CON] GenCon and Media Coverage Next: RE: [FT] PDS as direct fire weapons

RE: FMA Skirmish test results

From: "Steve Gill" <Steve@c...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:23:54 +0100
Subject: RE: FMA Skirmish test results

Jon asked:

> >2) Single supression. The DSII players said they preferred the 'two
> >suppressions' system. As it stands you can't actually 'slap a
> figure down' -
> >they will usually have at least one action. If that is the game
> intent then
> >fine but if people aren't really 'suppressed' in this game as they
are in
> >DSII
>
> Interested in others' opinions on this one - originally we had no
limit on
> number of suppressions, but in testiing this meant that sometimes a
figure
> got loads of them piled on it at once and it got a bit silly. Question
for
> discussion: if you're under fire, are you more inhibited if you think
more
> people are firing at you, or doesn't it make much difference?
> Then we tried a max of 2 suppressions, which works OK-ish, but
> then thought
> we'd try going to one only. That way, you CAN pin someone down
completely
> but ONLY if they fail their first remove suppression test, which
> gives good
> troops a bit more chance to keep moving.
> An alternative idea we had was to allow up to 2 suppression chits, but
> say that if you rolled better than TWICE your motivation number, then
you
> removed 2 chits at once (eg: a Veteran/2 would need 3 or better on his
D10
> to remove 1 supp chit, but 5 or better to remove 2 in one action).
>
> Opinions, anyone?

Suppression is a very tricky subject, and exceptionally difficult to
model.

There is a big difference between being under fire and being suppressed.
couple of shots in your direction may make you take cover temporarily
while
you judge the situation. Suppression only comes from a lot of incoming
fire
into the whole area around you.

While under fire you will move more cautiously, from cover to cover.
When
suppressed you do nothing other than try to wiggle into the ground.

Suppression is a purely temporary event. On the receiving end it's the
total
knowledge that with the amount of lead currently flying around if you
move
out of cover you are dead. As soon as the cause of the suppression stops
so
does the suppression. Although suppression is likely to affect morale
(the
opposition are controlling your options) it is not going to cause
someone to
break and run away - the same instinct that is keeping your head down
will
prevent that.

Usually only very experienced or motivated troops will attempt to break
out
from suppression, and then it's just to find better cover.

My suggestion would be to just leave a suppression marker on a figure
until
the suppressing unit changes target, at which point you remove the
marker.
This could be modified by the motivation level of the troops so that
greener
troops keep the markers on for longer. Only the most elite troops should
get
the chance to remove the marker while the suppressive event continues.

A strange thing about suppression is that truly green troops often don't
know they are supposed to be suppressed. I suppose they haven't
developed
the required survival instincts yet. This usually gets them killed of
course.

Hope this helps a bit.

---
Steve Gill
Steve@caws.demon.co.uk

Prev: RE: [CON] GenCon and Media Coverage Next: RE: [FT] PDS as direct fire weapons