Prev: [OT] Marbeth Designs Next: RE: [FT] armour

Re: [FT] armour

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:55:08 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] armour

Brian Bell wrote:

[On armour-ignoring weapons]

> Wave Gun and Nova Cannon.

Um... they don't ignore FB armour. They ignore screens, and you could
argue that they penetrate armour in the same fashion as pulse torps and
SMs even though this isn't stated anywhere, but even then you'd need
more armour boxes than you have hull boxes in order to kill the ship
before it runs out of armour.

> I don't have the math to compute the figures. But my impression
> is that screens are more effective against beam weapons than
> armor, but less (or not) effective against other weapons.

Generally speaking screens are better than armour aboard big ships (ie,
with many DCPs) with Average or better hulls and low thrust ratings, as
long as the enemy doesn't use any screen-skipping weapons. You don't
need very many screen-skppers before the armour is better for all
hulls, though.

> I don't have a feel for the armor vs. added firepower.

Adding armour is usually better, as long as don't overdo it. Having 20%
of the Mass as armour and a Super-strong hull won't leave too much
space for weapons, like :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: [OT] Marbeth Designs Next: RE: [FT] armour