Prev: Re: [FT] armour Next: Re: [FMA] Unofficial suggestions for variant

Re: [FT] armour

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] armour

On 21-Jul-99 at 11:13, Tony Francis (tony@glassghost.com) wrote:
> Roger Books wrote:
>
> > I've been looking a bit at armour and in ship design it
> > looks like armour is a wonderful thing.
> >
> > Average hull mass 90 ship:
> >
> > First threshold @	7 hits
> > Second threshold @ 14 hits
> > Third threshold @  21 hits
> > Death	    @  27 hits
> >
> > Weak hull mass 90, with 9 armour:
> >
> > First threshold @  14 hits (same as second on AVE hull)
> > Second threshold@  19 hits
> > Third threshold@   23 hits
> >  Death	   @   27 hits
> >

> But not all weapons have to go through the armour before starting to
> damage the hull. Meet a ship with the wrong (or right, depending upon
> which end of the barrel you are) weapon mix and your threshold points
> become :
>
> First @ 5
> Second @ 10
> Third @ 14
> Death @ 18
>
> which doesn't look half as appealing.

Which weapons are you talking about?  If they are using needle
beams and they hit enough to be significant thresholds are not
my problem.  Beams get through armour on a re-roll, but they
are still doing most of their damage to the armour.  Plasma
torps do 1/2 damage to armour and 1/2 to hull, I'm still better
shape there (10 hits to get to the first threshold, 19 for
second).  Am I missing an important weapon?

Roger Books

Prev: Re: [FT] armour Next: Re: [FMA] Unofficial suggestions for variant